04 January 2009

Sunday, Sunday

I'm on the train heading back to London. Everything with G went better than expected. His mom, three of his brothers and two of children gave their approval. We had no fights and enjoyed just hanging out with each other. G's brother Gars took me out today to show the yank a proper time. We had drinks at a lovely pub called the wool plank. The pub allowed dogs and had a coal stove. I could have stayed there for the rest of the evening. So I didn't get to see a lot of things but I met lots of people and saw how they live. That was cool. Most everyone was excited about the prospect of visiting the US but they didn't want to live there. Well the kids did. They imagine America as this place with no restrictions and lots of cool people. I didn't have the heart to tell them it really isn't much different.

One thing I did notice was the gender roles. Its not quite the US in the fifties but some things were weird. Like drinking lager. Traditionally women drank half pints in public, never full pints. I wondered why G always gave me little glass. Later in the trip I got the okay to drink pints from one of the wives.

So what's next for G and T? He hopes to visit the US in March. I'm on the hook to find a real job somewhere and we can get settled together. I'm getting the fairy tale ending I've wanted for years. Yeah me!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment